J. Antonio G. Lopez
Class of 1973
FACC, FAHA, FACP, FACA, FCCP, FASE, FASA, FNLA, FASH
• Dr. López was born and raised in San Diego, California.
• He received his BA degree ‘Cum Laude’ in General Biology at the University of California at San Diego (UCSD).
• He received his Medical Degree ‘Cum Laude’ from the Harvard Medical School and completed his residency in Internal Medicine at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center at the UCLA School of Medicine.
• He was a Research Fellow at the Cardiac Unit at the Massachusetts General Hospital, as well as a Fellow in Cardiovascular Diseases and Interventional Cardiology at the University of Iowa.
• Dr. López was the Director of the Lipid Clinic and Cardiovascular and Outreach Clinics at the University of Iowa. He was also Director of Preventive Cardiology, Lipid Clinic and Cardiovascular Rehabilitation and the Prevention Center at the Prairie Heart Institute in Springfield, Illinois.
• Presently he is a Cardiologist, Lipidologist and Hypertension Specialist at Saint Alphonsus Medical Group Heart Care in Boise, Idaho. Dr. López is the Director of Preventive Cardiology and Cardiovascular Rehabilitation, Director of the Lipid Clinic, and Director of the LDL Apheresis Program as well as Immediate Past Chair of Cardiology at the Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center. He is the Chair of Research and Education and the Director of the Hypertension Consultation Service and Director of the Carotid Intima-Medial Thickness (CIMT) Program at Saint Alphonsus Medical Group Heart Care.
Dr. López is board certified in:
• Internal Medicine
• Clinical Lipidology
In addition, Dr. López is a Fellow in the American Heart Association in the Councils of Clinical Cardiology; Arteriosclerosis, Vascular Biology, and Thrombosis; Epidemiology and Prevention; as well as Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism. Dr. López is an Overseas Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine. He is on the Board of Directors and is Immediate Past-President of the Pacific Lipid Association and is on the Membership committee, Health quality and research committee, Communications committee and is Chair of the Honors and Awards committee of the National Lipid Association. Dr. López is also has served as a member of the Epidemiology and Prevention Council Minority Committee of the American Heart Association. He is currently a Councilor and Treasurer/Secretary of the Idaho Chapter of the American College of Cardiology. Dr. López is on the Editorial Board of the journal Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders.
National Recognition for his research in hyperlipidemia and atherosclerosis from:
• Veterans Administration Merit Review Award, 1987
• American Federation for Clinical Research-National Trainee Award, 1988
• American College of Chest Physicians-Alfred Soffer Research Award, 1988
• American College of Cardiology-Second prize, National Young Investigator Award, 1989
Publications/Presentations: Dr. López is a widely published investigator from medical journals to textbook chapters and he is a nationally-recognized speaker having delivered greater than 700 presentations on the subject of Cardiovascular Medicine.
Honoring Our Heroes
This area is dedicated to our alumni that have served or are serving in our armed forces!
Lost Class Rings
Have you lost your Montgomery High School class ring? Have you found someone's class ring? Visit our Aztecs lost class ring page to search for your class ring or post information about a found ring.